tasklist-idea

[tasklist-idea] Re: GNU task list management

From: toby cabot
Subject: [tasklist-idea] Re: GNU task list management
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:06:43 -0500

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:51:42AM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> Actually, now that we're talking about it, I realized I somehow had the
> impression that the job posting facility *was* the tasklist now.  I see
> I was wrong ...

The Savannah jobs mechanism *is* the tasklist *except* for loose ends
that we've not yet cleaned up, like making the old static html
tasklist a pointer to the new one, changing the "how to help" pages,
etc.  I recently got my ability to login to fencepost back so I can
now help with this.

The thing that we need to work out is where to store the additional
information behind each task.  In the old task list we had items like
"a program to test a hard disk" with no additional information.  I'd
like to have a place to store the "story" behind each item, like who
asked, etc.

> As for projects searching for people, there could be a bug category of
> something like "I want to volunteer" and list your skills, etc.  It
> probably would not be especially structured, but as long as there is
> full text search (which I think there is), that would be enough.

I agree, that's what I'd like to see, too.

> Absolutely.  You can define new fields with the bug facility.

I need to take a look at the bug facility, it may do everything we
need, and as you mention it's already set up.