tasklist-idea

[tasklist-idea] Re: GNU task list management

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [tasklist-idea] Re: GNU task list management
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:51:42 -0500

Hi Toby,

    I'd prefer to use the job posting facitlity on Savannah,

The job posting facility would be ideal, except, as you say, you have to
"climb the savannah learning curve", get access to the scripts, etc.

The bug feature is already there and you could start today, without
requiring anyone else to do anything (always the stumbling block with
GNU administration, it seems).

Actually, now that we're talking about it, I realized I somehow had the
impression that the job posting facility *was* the tasklist now.  I see
I was wrong ...

    because I like the idea of having one big marketplace where projects
    and people can search for one another in a decentralized way.

This would be possible if the bug list was used as a mechanism, as far
as I can see?  Volunteers searching for projects is certainly no problem.

As for projects searching for people, there could be a bug category of
something like "I want to volunteer" and list your skills, etc.  It
probably would not be especially structured, but as long as there is
full text search (which I think there is), that would be enough.

As far as I know, the job posting facility doesn't now have any way for
volunteers to sign up like that.  It's all directed towards people
searching for projects.  Which is certainly enough to start with, anyway.

    I think it has more potential for that than a flat text file.

My understanding was that Jose was proposing to build a web interface
around those files.

    so we should have some mechanism for storing
    that background and I think text is fine.

Absolutely.  You can define new fields with the bug facility.