tiger-user

Re: [Tiger-user] Filtering some of tiger's outptu

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Subject: Re: [Tiger-user] Filtering some of tiger's outptu
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:33:43 +0100

Chris Niekel wrote:
Hi,

I've been using tiger for a while, and am starting to get frustrated
with the messages it sends. There are a lot of identd processes coming
and going, so I get lines like:
OLD: --WARN-- [lin003w] The process `identd' is listening ...
OLD: --WARN-- [lin003w] The process `in.comsat' is listening ...

And in the next mail, there is NEW: and NEW: the sam entries. I assume
that these messages can be filtered (per process-name I hope), but I
have no idea how. Can anyone tell me how to do it, or what I should read
instead of bugging you?

Your problem seems to be that you have a number of processes starting/stopping constantly in your system. The way to filter this is adding them to your tigerrc:

# Which processes are always considered valid, regardless of how arethey
# listening for incoming connections on the system?
# This allows administrators to disable warnings on processes that might # change
# the listening port dynamically (and thus cannot be removed through the
# template definitions)
# List of processes separated by '|'... no whitespaces allowed (but
# wildcards are)
#
Tiger_Listening_ValidProcs=''

        So, in your case, you can avoid reports from these processes with
Tiger_Listening_ValidProcs='identd|in.comsat'

Note that this has been tested with Linux's version of check_listeningprocs (under systems/Linux/2/check_listeningprocs) but not with the generic one (scripts/check_listeningprocs).

Check which one you are running with (i.e. in the cronrc file) and check if changing tigerrc solves your problem.

Best regards

Javi