tiger-user

Re: [Tiger-user] Filtering some of tiger's outptu

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Subject: Re: [Tiger-user] Filtering some of tiger's outptu
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:50:40 +0100

Chris Niekel wrote:

I added these, and I still get the mails. (I use Linux/Debian by the
way).

Umm... you shouldn't, if you do that's a bug in the script.

Reading the comments, I'd also think that this is NOT the solution.
identd and in.comsat always use the same listening port. Reading the
comment, it should be handled by template definitions. But I haven't
found any documentation on template definitions.

Yes. Template definitions are documented (even if only slightly). This was a feature introduced in the Debian version. From the README.Debian file

Using Templates

Tiger in Debian can compare against "templates" when running through
a cron job. That is, you can take a given log from a previous run
(at /var/log/tiger) rename it with a ".template" instead of a ".[number]" and place it under /etc/tiger/templates.

Tiger checks will compare against it. That way Tiger will only report issues when they changed from the template (if configured in /etc/tiger/tigerrc). NOTE: Previous to 2.2.4-20 templates could be placed in /var/log/tiger, this behaviour is preserved but templates at /etc/tiger/ are used first if available.

Another (less secure) method is to have Tiger only report changes from previous runs, please note that in this setup problems will only be reported *once* in cron jobs, regardless of importance. This is the default behavior, that is, this will (should, at least from version 2.2.4-22 and above) work just after installation.

Note also that it won't work if any part of the WARN/ERR/INFO line changes from the template to the real execution (i.e. there's no regexp for these, just simple diff). It's a crude hack, but it works :-o

Note that this has been tested with Linux's version of check_listeningprocs (under systems/Linux/2/check_listeningprocs) but not with the generic one (scripts/check_listeningprocs).

Hmm, although I have linux 2.4, the generic version is apparently
executed. (it prints 'auth' instead of '113'). I have changed the cronrc

I've changed the '0,4,6,10,14,18,20 * *          check_listeningprocs'
into '0,4,6,10,14,18,20 * * systems/Linux/2/check_listeningprocs',
hopefully that'll change things. I'll see that in the morning.

        Have you seen any change? Please comment.

        Regards

        Javi