tiger-user

Re: [Tiger-user] Filtering some of tiger's outptu

From: Chris Niekel
Subject: Re: [Tiger-user] Filtering some of tiger's outptu
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:19:39 +0100

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:33:43PM +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> >OLD: --WARN-- [lin003w] The process `identd' is listening ...
> >OLD: --WARN-- [lin003w] The process `in.comsat' is listening ...
>       Your problem seems to be that you have a number of processes
> starting/stopping constantly in your system. The way to filter this is
> adding them to your tigerrc:
>
> # Which processes are always considered valid, regardless of how arethey
> # listening for incoming connections on the system?
> # This allows administrators to disable warnings on processes that might
> # change
> # the listening port dynamically (and thus cannot be removed through the
> # template definitions)
> # List of processes separated by '|'... no whitespaces allowed (but
> # wildcards are)
> #
> Tiger_Listening_ValidProcs=''
>
>       So, in your case, you can avoid reports from these processes with
> Tiger_Listening_ValidProcs='identd|in.comsat'

I added these, and I still get the mails. (I use Linux/Debian by the
way).

Reading the comments, I'd also think that this is NOT the solution.
identd and in.comsat always use the same listening port. Reading the
comment, it should be handled by template definitions. But I haven't
found any documentation on template definitions.

> Note that this has been tested with Linux's version of
> check_listeningprocs (under systems/Linux/2/check_listeningprocs) but
> not with the generic one (scripts/check_listeningprocs).

Hmm, although I have linux 2.4, the generic version is apparently
executed. (it prints 'auth' instead of '113'). I have changed the cronrc

I've changed the '0,4,6,10,14,18,20 * *          check_listeningprocs'
into '0,4,6,10,14,18,20 * * systems/Linux/2/check_listeningprocs',
hopefully that'll change things. I'll see that in the morning.

Thanks for the help so far!

Chris Niekel

--
    I've been down so long, if I'd cheer up, I'd still be depressed.
            - Lisa Simpson, Moanin' Lisa Blues.