uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] mac os x and usb to serial adapter

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] mac os x and usb to serial adapter
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:51:54 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Simon Tinguely wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks a lot for your answers !
>

> > This is probably the exact adapter I'm having trouble with. Picture:
> > http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/setpage.pl?http://www.elfa.se/elfa/
> > produkter/en/6121.htm
>
> Yes, it is that one.
>
> > This is a sample command you might want to look at:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/uisp -dprog=avr910 -dserial=/dev/cu.usbserial0
> > -dpart=auto --erase --upload --verify if=rom.hex
> >
> > You might want to change -dprog if you don't have that kind of
> > external hardware. /dev/cu.usbserial0 is the default location of the
> > serial port. Check out this:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/uisp
>
> This command is probably the right one, but I realized that my
> programmer was not supported by uisp, so I must buy another one. I have
> a "SI-prog" which works with ponyprog. But it seems that it's not
> possible to install ponyprog on mac os x, and I can't get it work under
> Virtual PC with my adapter.

That programmer may work. You need to use -dprog=dasa or dasa2. If those
don't work, it wouldn't be too difficult to add a new dasa mode.

I don't have time at the moment to figure out the signals, but this
diagram has all the info we'd need to support this programming (if it's
not already supported).

  http://www.lancos.com/e2p/siprog_base.png

Hmmm, on second thought, I don't know if the usb driver will actually
let you control the levels on the individual pins directly. If not, then
you won't be able to use this programmer with a usb-to-rs232 adaptor. I
have very little experience with usb devices.

> Do you think I should change my programmer? Do you know which one I
> have to buy to be sure that it works with atmega8535?

If you can't get what you've got to work...

For the mac, you are probably better off not using a parallel port
dongle (stk200 like devices) since they also rely on direct control of
the pin levels. I personally like the stk500 since it is expandable and
can also do Hi-V programming (which in some situations may be the only
way to rescue a badly fused device). I use the stk500 for quick
prototyping and experimentation. The avrisp programmer is cheaper, but
limited to only SPI programming.

Ted Roth