uncc-dev

Re: [Uncc-dev] Re: playing with uncc

From: Little-John
Subject: Re: [Uncc-dev] Re: playing with uncc
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0100

* Stefan Weyergraf (address@hidden) ha scritto:
> >  indeed
> >  in the uncc we have in mind, a user will be able to decompile a
> > single function.
> Is it uncc's exact goal to decompile single functions ?

 well, single function decompilation will be an uncc feature, but not
the 'exact' goal.

> 2) your code is for 386 targets only, ours is (more or less) generic

 through plugins it'll be possible to handle different targets.

> 3) we want the user to have *complete* control of the target program
> (low-level). decompilation (when replacing disassembly) takes this
> away.

 indeed

> It probably doesn't make sense to combine the two programs at a source code
> level. The rewritten HT however will feature virtual terminals (VT100) within
> it's own windowing system as well as spawning of subshells.
> Someone (eg. me) could write code to invoke uncc in a subshell and display
> it's output in a window.
> This would be a very useful application.

 yes, that would be nice.

> PS: How much decompilation do you intend ? Have you had a look at
> boomerang.sf.net ?

 yep, i know boomerang and i like it. still, uncc comes with different
features in mind.

> Or at Cifuentes'
> http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~cristina/dcc/decompilation_thesis.ps.gz ?

 cifuentes' thesis is 'educational'. anyhow we are not strictly
following cifuentes' decompilation approach.

 cheers,
 lj