wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] C++ streams and VC++6

From: Guillaume Melquiond
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] C++ streams and VC++6
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:56:10 +0200

On 4/27/05, David White wrote:
> On my 2Ghz Windows machine when there is no cache present, we get,
>   END: preprocessing file... (took 40184ms)

> So, as we can see, the 'insane' amount of time takes place in
> preprocessing, and I assume, when reading files.

Indeed, going 8 times slower on a computer 4 times faster is quite a
feat. Since we are also using streams to read the cache, could you
tell us how long it takes to read it back from disk?  Looking at your
log, it eems like it takes less than one second to write the cache on
the disk (by using streams).

> When I have time I will  try replacing the streams with C-style I/O, and see
> how much faster it is.

It would be probably a lot faster for you to switch to a better STL
implementation. For Boost, people uses STLport instead of MSVC6
default implementation. Could you give it a try?
http://www.stlport.org/