xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:56:36 +0200

Well, as far as I am concerned GTK is just another front-end. WinBoard has
its own Makefile, and there is no reason why a GTK version in a
sub-directory could not have its own autogen.sh, config and Makefiles
there.

I am also trying to see things in a broader perspective: Linux and Windows
are not the only existing platforms. In fact they might be dinosours
heading for extinction. The future might be iPhone and Android. And we
also don't have a native Mac port. If time has to be invested in the code
to port it to GTK, it would be much more worthwile to do it in such a way
that porting to other platforms also becomes easier.

Note that I am not tallking so much about improving frontend-backend
separation, as well as frontend elimination.