yafray-devel

Re: [Yafray-devel] Re: Producing HDR images with yafray

From: mgix
Subject: Re: [Yafray-devel] Re: Producing HDR images with yafray
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:31:02 -0700 (PDT)

> There is an interesting web page talking about the effects of how
> operations are performed, demos ready to watch:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/spitzak/conversion/composite.html

Yep, that's Bill Spitzak's site. He's the guy who wrote Nuke
(a compositing system in use at Digital Domain), so he's got
quite a good grip on how these things go.

However, his site is mostly about evangelizing the compositing
community about the benefits of image processing in linear space
(which is a very good thing, btw).

What I'm talking about is the fact that you CANT - whichever smart
color space you work in - make a car headlight "bloom" properly unless
you have floating point elements in the first place : the dynamic range
between the dark background and the peak intensity of the car headlight
is far too large to be handle by any kind of 8bit encoding. And it shows even
in Bill's examples