Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 11:42:09 -0700

On 6/30/07, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

I think I like the idea of buying maps and asking for directions a good deal
better than mini-mapping, now that you mention it.

Would, or could, maps be added to the journal or edited at the player's
discretion?

I think we'll have to do something to keep stuff like maps, scrolls,
recipes and the like out of the inventory. Either add them to the
journal or have separate "books" for them.

I'd also like to allow custom annotations on the map, but not sure yet
how that would work out.

And again I think we should have a hotkey (like 'm') that would bring
up the map for the current area, if the player has aquired it.

Thank you. Now that makes sense. I'm not used to thinking quite that way in
a game, but the system does sound nice and flexible.

It's a bit different than what I've seen so far: mostly slots that you
need to assign before accessing them with a hot key. But then you end
up with a larger number of slots that eat up GUI space (like Diablo)
or you'll have to remember which item has which hot key (like
Oblivion). Plus you'll have to do the assignment ahead of time ... so
I'd like to try something different.

So, in sum so far... We have some indicator of the character's status (and
possibly the same for any companions) and four on-screen spaces for weapons,
feats, usable items, and special abilities. Icons are minimal and optional,
if at all present. Everything else is done with hot-keys and
user-configurable grammars. As with Waste's Edge, the character moves, but
the scene does not move to stay centered on him.

Yes.

As to the item indicators themselves, I think they should be as they now
appear on the mock-up - a set size with translucent backgrounds and opaque
objects on that background - though I am not sure about position. I'll
suggest putting the indicator and the four slots in opposite corners of the
screen. I'm concerned that if the status indicator and the four item slots
are set together on the same row or column, that it will have the effect of
reducing the viewable gameplay area in that dimension.

The more I think about it, the more I want to get rid of the actual
character portrait and just leave the health and power bar. Those two
might be on the left side (and possibly vertical, as the screen is
wider than tall) while the quick-access icons could be along the right
side. Whether they should be near the top or bottom depends on
personal taste, I guess. For me, stuff along the top gets more
attention, so they'd be easier visible but also more in the way ...

So maybe it's time for a new mockup with some description to go along
with it ...

Kai