Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 07:12:11 +0200

On 7/1/07, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

May I ask you to do the mock-up? I don't have the GIMP installed

Done. Also started an article to describe what we discussed so far:

   http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Design:Map_Screen

While doing so I started to think about a suggestion that James made
ages ago. It might still be somewhere in the ML archive, but I
couldn't find it at a glance. The idea was for the general inventory
and spell book but we didn't really consider it in the end.

Basically, you had a list of icons that ran from top to bottom,
representing items, spells, songs, feats, etc.. .. The icon in focus
got "expanded" into a horizontal row of all the objects in that
category so the player could chose one.

While I wouldn't use that as an actual inventory, it might be useful
together with the quick slots. Instead of having a hot-key for each
one that would cycle through all objects, we could expand it into a
row of objects (possibly still filtered and ordered from most to least
used). That means less shortcuts to learn and it would also work well
without a keyboard: One key to activate, directional keys to chose,
action key to select.

Any thoughts?

Kai