Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 13:18:36 -0700

On 7/1/07, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:
On 7/1/07, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd also like to allow custom annotations on the map, but not sure yet
> how that would work out.

I'll think about that one, as I would like to be able to annotate maps in
game as well.

It's something that would require a mouse, unless we'd have a cursor
that can be controlled by the arrow keys/gamepad.

> The more I think about it, the more I want to get rid of the actual
> character portrait and just leave the health and power bar. Those two
> might be on the left side (and possibly vertical, as the screen is
> wider than tall) while the quick-access icons could be along the right
> side. Whether they should be near the top or bottom depends on
> personal taste, I guess. For me, stuff along the top gets more
> attention, so they'd be easier visible but also more in the way ...

I'm still in favor of the portrait, but you're the benevolent dictator here,
not me. :)

As such I don't mind a little revolt ;-). My main concern really is
the use of screen real estate by something that conveys little
information (although I do like the looks of it). It would make more
sense in the presence of companions, however.

May I ask you to do the mock-up? I don't have the GIMP installed
on my wife's system as I'm generally rather gun-shy about installing things
on her computer. Also, I don't quite know how to do translucency in MS
Paint.

I can do that ... it'll take a while though, since we've got visitors
over the next couple days. Not sure if MS Paint can do translucency at
all ... also being able to use layers comes in handy with the mock-up
:-).

Kai