Re: AC_DEFINE questions

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE questions
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:41:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Mike Castle wrote:

> >- Who's still got that list of third party macros that we had to download
> >  and install, anyway?  Anyone?"
>
> You mean you didn't put those into your configuration management system?
> Shame on you.
>
> Hint:  IT should not be involved in updating your autoconf stuff.  Your
> developers and configuration manager should be.

Not when we don't have root passwords to the machines that we work on.
Hence, IT *is* responsible for updating our autoconf stuff (at our
request, of course).  I'm not going to tell every one of my developers
that they need their own local installation of autoconf + a bunch of
macros -- that's just silly, inefficient, and defeats the point of having
centralized software support.

Hint: not everything can be easily classified.  There are many, many
different configurations and "ways of doing things" out there, many of
which will necessarily be totally different from each other.  In my
organization, the IT support staff is responsible for *all* software exept
that which is being developed.  I can't change that.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden