Re: configure -C by default?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: configure -C by default?
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:16:05 +0100

On 02/07/2011 11:35 AM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

The only real world use-case I currently have for config.caches, is it being a offering a crude way to override configure settings when configure guesses things wrong (A real-world use case: Paths to tools when cross-building scripts)

My real world use-case is TeX live with a total of about 70 configure
scripts and a very large number of common tests.  Here -C gives a
considerable speed-up with prcatically no problems.
Quite possible, ... when things are designed to apply config.cache.

In many cases this does not apply. Also consider that many "modern" autoconf/aclocal-m4-macros (those not being part of autoconf or automake) do not honor config.caches.

Thus I'd certainly object to a removal of the cache file.
Not much of a problem - Making "configure -C default" to me is not helpful.

BTW, IIRC - and correct me if I am wrong, it used to be default and was removed around the time frame of the discussions Ralf W. cited.