Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:33:38 +1100

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:28:04PM +0000, Christian Ludlam wrote:
> On 15 Nov Klaus Rudolph wrote:
>
> > And I also think that there is nobody who is interested in writing
> > assembler on avr.
>
> Not using gas, at least :)

Actually, gas is splendid on other targets, e.g. the PowerPC. It served
very well for some OS extensions I did for an ISDN interface, done
mostly with gcc.

Despite the boggy spots in avr-as, we've had no trouble implementing
another multi-channel telephony interface card in pure AVR assembler.
Tens of kilobytes of the stuff. :-) (Didn't trust avr-gcc to be
sufficiently frugal with the restricted code space, and anyway,
multi-threaded call control can be elegantly abstracted using assembler
macros to directly implement ITUT SDL primitives.)

At least avr-as honestly refuses to do what it doesn't support, and it's
always been possible (so far) to work around the limitations
encountered.

I'm currently implementing device drivers for a private project in
assembler. At least the syntax won't change under my feet. If I succumb
to using C, especially the more fluid avr-specific stuff, I suppose I
can archive a copy of avr-gcc with the project.  ;-)

Erik