Re: FW: [avrdude-dev] Windows port (was: Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrad

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: FW: [avrdude-dev] Windows port (was: Butterfly proposal: Exit upgradefunction)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:45:17 +0100

On Monday 09 February 2004 17:39, E. Weddington wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2004 at 12:17, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> > > Why would it need to restart? I don't think Win2000 needs a
> > > restart, but I'll do some checking.
> >
> > I can't see a reason. Perhaps it was, because I still had the
> > command.exe running while doing the change. Or windows just
> > forgot to apply the changes ;-(
>
> Oh, I bet you that's it! Definitely close the command line box
> before making the changes. It does not automatically grab those
> changes when running.

It's not this way. If I close it and open a new one the changes don't
take effect. And technically changing the FIFO-threshold is just a
single "out"-command, no OS stuff ;-)
IMHO the only reason would be, that Windows refuses to set the value,
because the command.com holds a lock or something like this...

> > However, it is quite nice that you can change FIFO-settings in
> > Windows. You can't do that with Linux, unless you patch and
> > recomile the kernel. (Did I just say that Windows does something
> > better than Linux?)
>
> Well, hey! Now you have an idea for a patch for Linux! Go for it!
> ;-)

I have already changed the value in my kernel once, it's quite easy.
The hard stuff is making an interface to user space or at least
implementing a boot-option.
Writing a program for directly changing the FIFO is not feasable (even
with root privileges), since Linux sets FIFO-threshold everytime the
baudrate is set ;-(

I won't bother the kernel people with this, because
- it might be implemented in 2.6 (perhaps I will take a look
sometimes)
- I might switch to BSD (at least I'm done with SuSE)
- I will try building an USB-prommer as soon as the new FTDI-chips are
available and I have the time ;-)

Cheers
  Jan-Hinnerk