Re: FW: [avrdude-dev] Windows port (was: Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrad

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: FW: [avrdude-dev] Windows port (was: Butterfly proposal: Exit upgradefunction)
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:39:06 -0700

On 8 Feb 2004 at 12:17, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> On Friday 06 February 2004 22:14, E. Weddington wrote:
> > On 6 Feb 2004 at 2:22, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:
>
> > > So the use of Windows-API is equivalent to switching serial ports
> > > to low latency under Linux. This is a great benefit.
> > >
> > > In addition this makes it possible to gain even more speed by
> > > reducing the FIFO-threshold.
> > >
> > > avrdude-Martin, receive_fifo_threshold=1: 14.53s
> >
> > Huh. Very interesting.
> > This also applies to an app that I'm working on for my job. Thanks!
>
> You're welcome. Would be interesting to see how other windows-version
> handle this...

Hmm. On second (and third) looks, this doesn't help in the application for my
job. Oh, well....

> > > BTW: The FIFO-thresholds can be adjusted in Device-Manager (hope
> > > this is the right term). Although it doesn't say so, WinXP needs
> > > a restart before changes take effect ;-(
> >
> > Why would it need to restart? I don't think Win2000 needs a
> > restart, but I'll do some checking.
>
> I can't see a reason. Perhaps it was, because I still had the
> command.exe running while doing the change. Or windows just forgot to
> apply the changes ;-(

Oh, I bet you that's it! Definitely close the command line box before making
the changes. It does not automatically grab those changes when running.

> However, it is quite nice that you can change FIFO-settings in
> Windows. You can't do that with Linux, unless you patch and recomile
> the kernel. (Did I just say that Windows does something better than
> Linux?)

Well, hey! Now you have an idea for a patch for Linux! Go for it! ;-)

Eric