bbdb-user

Re: bbdb3 not automatically adding new entries

From: Rajeev.Gore
Subject: Re: bbdb3 not automatically adding new entries
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 22:25:47 +1100

Hi all,

about six months ago, I asked how to convince bbdb3 to add entries to my .bbdb
file. Roland answered as per the attached snippet
below:

> You need not require any code except for the bbdb-loaddefs that are generated
> when you make BBDB.  Please see the README.
> Furthermore, you may want to call bbdb-initialize and/or
> bbdb-mua-auto-update-init.  Again please see the README.

I tried to read the README but could not figure out what to do. However, I have
now tried the following after the recent email
from Gijs Hillenius in which he gave his bbdb entries:

(require 'bbdb-loaddefs)
(bbdb-initialize 'vm 'message)
(setq bbdb-allow-duplicates t)
(setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
(setq bbdb-message-all-addresses t)
(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'vm 'mail)
(setq bbdb-mua-pop-up nil)
(setq bbdb-completion-display-record nil)

I also have put the following into my .emacs file:
(require 'bbdb-loaddefs "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb3/")

But bbdb still resolutely remains silent when new email comes in.

How can I convince bbdb3 to automatically add emails to my .bbdb please?

Any help gratefully accepted.

raj