[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Bug-ddrescue] Slowness during recovery

From: James W. Watts
Subject: Re: [Bug-ddrescue] Slowness during recovery
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:57:21 -0800 (PST)

Wanted to follow-up and pass along my progress.

I tried some of the tips that Antonio suggested and I'm happy to report they're working. In my latest message to the distribution list, I have another drive that I'm recovering. It's a 160GB laptop SATA drive. It kept getting stuck around the 220MB mark. So I added the -d (direct) switch and reduced the cluster size as Antonio suggested. But it wasn't until I added the --input-position switch that the magic happened. I tried increasing values (225, 250, 300, etc.) for this parameter, having to unplug the drive manually each time to force ddrescue to stop (CTRL-C was non-responsive). When I set it to 500, it the drive finally got going and kept going until it just got stuck around the 54GB mark. So I unplugged the drive, replugged it, and set the input position to 55GB and now it's continuing onward.

sudo ddrescue -v -d -n --cluster-size=10 --input-position=500MB /dev/sdc /media/sea500gb/tony.img /media/sea500gb/tony.log

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Any thoughts as to why ddrescue would not respond to CTRL-C? The only way I could get it to exit was to unplug the drive and make it think the drive didn't exist any more.

Also, regarding the other switches/parameters that can be set with ddrescue...when is it recommended to use the "-t (truncate)" switch? What does it do exactly? Advantages, disadvantages?



From: colo <address@hidden>
To: ddrescue <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:14:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Bug-ddrescue] Slowness during recovery

So I went ahead and tried to patch an older 1.6 
from the post below. I am very head strong and stubborn so I did try.

sudo ./ddrescue -B -d -v -r0 /dev/disk2s3 /Volumes/Lacie/testthree/savepleasethrid.dmg savepleasetwo.log

I know a tiny tiny bit of C so me f'ng up is easy.
Here is the main.cc file that I tried to hand patch.

And here is the console output
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued:         0 B,  errsize:       0 B,  errors:       0
Current status
rescued:         0 B,  errsize:  8126 PiB,  current rate:        0 B/s
   ipos:    8126 PiB,   errors:       1,    average rate:        0 B/s
   opos:    8126 PiB
ddrescue: internal error: bad size copying a Block

This portion    ipos:    8126 PiB
was constantly updating it's self in the terminal, something that never happened before. It usually takes 30 sec to a minute to get back an update.

I made a modification to main.cc so to support ddrescue's direct mode ("-d") when running on Mac OS X or Darwin systems. It seems to work-- in my test case, without -d a volume copy (with around 300 errors) took more than twice as long.
I don't know enough about configure to make this compile in automatically; just use this to

See previous email...

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]