Wanted to follow-up and pass along my progress.
I tried some of the tips that Antonio suggested and I'm happy to report they're working. In my latest message to the distribution list, I have another drive that I'm recovering. It's a 160GB laptop SATA drive. It kept getting stuck around the 220MB mark. So I added the -d (direct) switch and reduced the cluster size as Antonio suggested. But it wasn't until I added the --input-position switch that the magic happened. I tried increasing values (225, 250, 300, etc.) for this parameter, having to unplug the drive manually each time to force ddrescue to stop (CTRL-C was non-responsive). When I set it to 500, it the drive finally got going and kept
going until it just got stuck around the 54GB mark. So I unplugged the drive, replugged it, and set the input position to 55GB and now it's continuing onward.
sudo ddrescue -v -d -n --cluster-size=10 --input-position=500MB /dev/sdc /media/sea500gb/tony.img /media/sea500gb/tony.log
Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Any thoughts as to why ddrescue would not respond to CTRL-C? The only way I could get it to exit was to unplug the drive and make it think the drive didn't exist any more.
Also, regarding the other switches/parameters that can be set with ddrescue...when is it recommended to use the "-t (truncate)" switch? What does it do exactly? Advantages, disadvantages?
To: ddrescue <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:14:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Bug-ddrescue] Slowness during recovery
So I went ahead and tried to patch an older 1.6
from the post below. I am very head strong and stubborn so I did try.
sudo ./ddrescue -B -d -v -r0 /dev/disk2s3 /Volumes/Lacie/testthree/savepleasethrid.dmg savepleasetwo.log
I know a tiny tiny bit of C so me f'ng up is easy.
Here is the main.cc file that I tried to hand patch.
And here is the console output
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 0 B, errsize: 0 B, errors: 0
rescued: 0 B, errsize: 8126 PiB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 8126 PiB, errors: 1, average rate: 0 B/s
opos: 8126 PiB
ddrescue: internal error: bad size copying a Block
This portion ipos: 8126 PiB
was constantly updating it's self in the terminal, something that never happened before. It usually takes 30 sec to a minute to get back an update.
I made a modification to main.cc so to support ddrescue's direct mode ("-d") when running on Mac OS X or Darwin systems. It seems to work-- in my test case, without -d a volume copy (with around 300 errors) took more than twice as long.
I don't know enough about configure to make this compile in automatically; just use this to
See previous email...