Re: [Chicken-users] Bignums in core

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bignums in core
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:26:03 -0700

Hi,

Personally I want a core Chicken with a component orientation towards the major sub-systems. I mean "pluggable & composable" string, number, gc, concurrency, file components; not to be construed as an exhaustive list.

I see Chicken at an architectural cross-roads. Rather than pilling capability into the core perhaps we should consider something that qualifies as "it's all chickens down."

Best Wishes,
Kon

P.S.

People may notice that a perfectly good regular expression system was swapped for another. The motivation was not the "push it off the table" capability of Alex's irregex compared with PCRE but the desire to rid the core of an external dependency.

(DO NOT read this as a criticism of irregex. I like the sexp regexp formula. Only a cautionary tale.)