classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] false/false illegal setting for namespaces is permi

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] false/false illegal setting for namespaces is permitted
Date: 15 Oct 2002 22:27:35 +0000

"Paul Brown" <address@hidden> writes:

> > From: address@hidden
> > [mailto:address@hidden
> > "Paul Brown" <address@hidden> writes:
> > > As part of a project, I put together a feature/property
> > > checker, and one of the things that it spotted is that
> > > GNU JAXP allows the illegal namespaces=false,
> > > namespace-prefixes=false setting.
> > Hmmm... that sounds fairly simple to fix.
> > Want to have a crack at it?
>
> As long as it is agreed that this is the Right Thing To Do.
> Implementing the features as in the SAX "spec" would require that:
>
> 1) If namespace-prefixes is false, then setting namespaces to false is
> an error; and vice versa.

At parse time. This probably needs testing: what does aelfred do if
both are set to false? Do we get a good exception or is it hidden in
some way?

> 2) Default is n=T,n-p=F.  So the naive namespace disablement action
> (namespaces=false) will result in an error.

That's probably right, as above, I think it needs to be tested. Can
you do that?

> The next two questions:
>
> 1) Should the exception be thrown only on parse (to avoid the problem in
> 2 above)?

Possibly. If we don't already throw one and the parse fails.

> 2) Is SAXNotSupportedException the right exception to throw?

Almost certainly not. A parse failure seems to me more reasonable
because the error is really "what should I do with ns information
now?"

Does that make sense?

Nic