ddd

Re: Memory IO Registers in DDD was: Makes sense go with DDD ahead?

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: Memory IO Registers in DDD was: Makes sense go with DDD ahead?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:11:03 +0200

Fabian Scheler wrote:

- I often work on remote targets (microcontrollers) with memory mapped
I/O registers controlling the various peripheral units. It would
really be nice if one could browse all these registers in a structured
manner (e.g. via menus and submenus), it would be even better if one
could also alter these registers. I think that is one of the main
advantages that debuggers (like the Trace32 debugger) for embedded
systems have. GDB already allows accessing these I/O registers - as
long as you know the address, so a clever interface might be really
helpful at this point.
That is from my point of few not the job of ddd. If you have a simple struct defined with all the IO registers of the device you could display them simply by watching the struct content. There is really no difference in IO registers and any other memory structure. But sometimes watching IO regisers change the value, like reading uart data input registers will remove data from the peripheral which is also done if you watch on some targets through jtag into the device. Some registers should be hidden in this case. Any idea how this could performed with actual ddd? Lauterbach Trace 32 is very good in this case. Maybe we could add some functionality from this.

Bye
 Klaus