Re: [Directory-discuss] Help with testing, please

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [Directory-discuss] Help with testing, please
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 16:13:03 -0400

Karl,

Thank you for the feedback.

> I don't see any "edit" or similar tab at, e.g.,

I have made you an administrator, so you should not be able to edit any
page. For anybody else doing some testing, please just email me once
you've logged in and tell me your username so that I can also give you
admin privileges.

> Comments in addition to the existing bugs list.  Let me know when you're
> ready to seriously examine the top-level category list and I can try to
> review.

For now we can assume that the top level categories are done being
worked on (for this round). So, we won't be changing them for now, but,
we do have a little wiggle room in deciding which ones will appear on
the front page or not.

We will re-examine categories in our next round of work, where we will
attempt to do things like import Debian package info from distributions
like Trisquel.

> - should the directory pages be licensed under CC-BY-ND now?  Or
> dual-licensed?  Although I guess they are documentation in one way,
> hence GFDL, it seems odd for them to be incompatible with the normal web
> pages, which usually have more or less the same information.

I am going to pass that question along to John and Brett.

> - for me, the formatting of the package pages is also rather suboptimal.

Yes, there are a lot of these kinds of style issues. My hope is that I
will be able to get some help on this from someone who can help me go
from a layout that layout we have to one that is a bit cleaner and more
robust.

I've captured all of your feedback on style related issues and it will
help us when I take another pass at the HTML/CSS.

> - If there is a standardized documentation url in the schema,
>   I suggest including it in some standardized way, perhaps below the
>   "Download" sentence in the second column.

This is a good idea. Right now we only have a field for "Documentation
note" to work with ... but in our next round of adding new (and maybe
removing some old) fields, we should make this a priority.

>   FWIW, I found documentation urls for all GNU packages when I was
>   working on constructing http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html. If they
>   are of possible value for importing, I can send along.

Cool. I'll take note of that when we think of the next round where we
update the fields and consider importing bulk data.

> - Finally, and perhaps most importantly ... what about the data dump?

Now that I've cleaned-up all of the data and fixed the errors, I'll make
sure I run this over the weekend so you can have it for next week. I'm
happy I didn't give you a dump of the last iteration ... there a bunch
of errors in the last data set.

Have a nice weekend and thanks again for your help and feedback!

Josh