Re: [Directory-discuss] Help with testing, please

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Directory-discuss] Help with testing, please
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 23:53:55 GMT

    we do have a little wiggle room in deciding which ones will appear on
    the front page or not.

Well, FYI, one big reason I care is that the top-level (and other)
Directory categories are supposed to also be used for the Info
documentation categories.  It seemed pointless to have two different
sets of lumping&splitting (it was rms's idea).  If we start promulgating
some unnecessarily-different categories, it would be confusing.

So here are my proposals:
- "Documentation tool" sounds weird (as a label).  How about
  "Documentation tools"?

- in "Email software", the "software" seems redundant.  Everything is
  software.

- "HTML Editor" is more than HTML (XML, etc.).  Anyway, it seems too
  small and focused to be top-level; I'd strongly advocate not having it
  appear.  "Internet" is enough.  But, in the alternative, please at
  least downcase "editor", that is the casing we've tried hard to
  systematize on, don't want to go backwards.

- "Internet application": again, the singular seems weird.

- "Network hookup".  Hookup??  I suggest just "Networking".

- "Protocol": too small, suggest omitting from list.  Also should be
  plural.

- "Use": is this the whole directory all over again but with
  different labels, or something?  I don't get it.  Anyway, too broad,
  suggest omitting.

- "Works with", "Works with format": makes sense in the context of an
  individual entry, but seems very weird at top level to me.  Also,
  seems like works-with-format is a subdivision of works-with, not a
  sibling.

Thanks,
karl