[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:48:56 -0500
User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 (X11/20041206)

Eunsoo Seo wrote:

Hi, guys. I'm a newbie.
I'm planning to buy some USRPs and start learning gnu radio.

By the way, somebody told me that I need a license from FCC to use gnu radio.
And he said that getting a license is not the manufacturer's duty but mine.

Is this true?
Do you guys have licenses?


If you're using USRP for receiving, no licensing is required.

But if you're using it for transmitting in the amateur-radio bands, then you'll
 definitely need to get yourself an amateur-radio license.

If you're using it for transmitting in bands other than amateur-radio, then the rules become much more complicated. In the U.S., any devices must be type-accepted (certified by the FCC) in order to transmit anywhere other than the amateur-radio bands. In many of those non-amateur-radio bands, you'll also need a seperate
 "user" license.

Keep in mind also, that in many countries (the U.K. comes to mind) there have been requirements to license *receivers*. I'm not sure whether this is still a requirement
 in the U.K. or not.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]