Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CMake builds vs Autotools builds

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CMake builds vs Autotools builds
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 18:16:20 -0500

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12/06/2011 06:02 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

Alright, good. Just making sure we didn't actually need the .la files. Which is good, since making them "correctly" (that is, identical to the output of autotools) could have been a real pain.

Thanks!
Tom

Ok, "this evening" has arrived with a sickening "thud", and I removed the ".la" files from my /usr/local/lib (well, /usr/local/lib64):

rm -f libgru*.la
rm -f libgnur*.la

Then re-ran the gr-fcd:

 bootstrap; ./configure; make; sudo make install

Quadriumvirate, and it all went perfectly well.

So, I don't think we *need* the .la files, and they, as observed previously, get in the way.  But them being there in some weird-arsed state
 can certainly screw things up.

--
Marcus Leech

We do suggest you uninstall before updating, which would have removed these files. Now, with autotools still building the .la's, if you are going back and forth, that could be a problem. On that, a) we will be moving away from autotools in the next version and b) I hope most people would start and stay with a build structure until then.

Thanks for checking into this.

Tom