Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 & OSX

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 & OSX
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:17:03 -0400

On Mar 22, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Arturo Rinaldi wrote:
> I think i've sorted out the dependencies for building gnuradio on Lion 10.7.3
>
> sudo port install boost icu cppunit fftw-3-single gawk \
> readline gsl texinfo guile python27 py27-numpy py27-nose py27-distribute \
> libsndfile portaudio py27-opengl py27-opengl-accelerate py27-pil lcms
> py27-tkinter \
> py27-wxpython wxWidgets mesa makedepend xorg-dri2proto xorg-glproto
> xorg-libXmu \
> py27-cheetah py27-gtk libglade2 py27-cairo py27-py py27-gobject py27-lxml
> doxygen \
> libusb-legacy sdcc29 gputils py27-pyqt4 py27-sip py27-pyqwt qt4-mac dbus
> libmng qt4-mac qwtplot3d qwt52 libsdl

Yeah; I'd believe that.  Nothing like a "few" background dependencies as added
by MacPorts to those top-level ones.  I tried creating a stand-alone .app for
GRC, and it turned out to be something like 600 MB when all of these
dependencies were included.  Many of them are spurious -- not directly relevant
-- but include as options or whatever.  MP folks have had a discussion about
this issue recently, since it's a real problem.

> However :
>
> First
> py27-wxpython doesn't install on macports. I'll post it on the macports
> mailing list then we aren't able to use the wxgui module

There's are a few discussions about py27-wxpython on various MP lists right
now.  Seems like maybe you're not alone.  Please do search for a ticket for: <
https://trac.macports.org/search >.  I have no issue with this port on 10.6.8,
and it works correctly with 64-bit Wx!

> Second
> by using autotools with
>
> ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib" CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include"
> CC=clang --disable-gr-qtgui --disable-docs
>
> builds the latest tarball (3.5.2.1) and i need some help for the
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH because gnuradio-companion start with an error message
> though PYTHONPATH is correctly set

You should be able to compile GR without LDFLAGS or CPPFLAGS, if you've set the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to include "/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig".  You'll probably want to
set CXX to clang++ (or, whatever that is called) along with CC; I don't think
CC is actually used, but it can't hurt to set it.  Once installed, you should
be able to execute GR scripts and GRC without resorting to the
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH -- the PATH and PYTHONPATH should be sufficient.

> Third
> downloaded the git version and after the usual steps with cmake, the building
> crashes at the 3% with the error
>
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mpopcnt"
> make[2]: *** [volk/lib/CMakeFiles/volk.dir/volk_machine_sse4_a_64.c.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [volk/lib/CMakeFiles/volk.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

No idea, but using CMake is the way to go to get Volk working.  Could be an OSX
10.7 issue; I'm still using 10.6 though I do do testing using an OSX 10.7 boot
disk.  I haven't tried this in a while, so I'll give it a whirl later today or
tomorrow, as time allows.

Good luck! - MLD