Re: Galileo Frequency Shifting and Filtering

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Galileo Frequency Shifting and Filtering
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 14:08:39 -0500

On 01/03/2023 13:01, Kyeong Su Shin wrote:
Hello all:

Regarding the signal amplification:
I'll point out that:
    (A) Most "active" GPS/GNSS antennas have an LNA, and the antenna structure is a printed-on-high-Er-ceramic patch antenna.
          Such antennas are quite narrow-band, so, there's already filtering ahead of the pre-amp.   Such antennas are also,
          unfortunately, lossy, even within the pass-band.
If you care about noise figure, then your receiver noise-figure doesn't really matter as much as the LNA that physics and
  coaxial cable dictates you have right up at the antenna.  Unless your receiver is literally dangling off the antenna outdoors,
  its noise figure (as long as it isn't totally horrific) doesn't actually matter that much because you'll have an LNA right up
  at the antenna.    Active GPS/GNSS antennas satisfy this requirement already to a great extent.  The problem is that in
  most environments (except perhaps rural and middle-of-nowhere), you *need* some filtering ahead of the LNA, which
  necessarily eats into the noise figure of the LNA.  (See, as you say, Friis noise chain analysis).

The only situation in which you'd see the signal (as an extended increase in the apparent noise floor) is when your
  front-end noise figure is really really low, and perhaps you're pointing at only a single GPS satellite.

The "trick" in GPS and similar spread-spectrum systems is that if you know the spreading code and offset, you can
  "despread" the signal, vastly increasing the effective SNR on the underlying BPSK signal and proceed from there.  But
  the signal architecture was *deliberately* designed so that you couldn't "see" it with ordinary equipment if you didn't
  know the spreading code.

Regards,
Kyeong Su Shin

보낸 사람: It's a cat <luoshumymail@gmail.com> 대신 discuss-gnuradio-bounces+ksshin=postech.ac.kr@gnu.org <discuss-gnuradio-bounces+ksshin=postech.ac.kr@gnu.org>
보낸 날짜: 2023년 3월 1일 수요일 오후 10:55
받는 사람: David Dima <daviddimavd@gmail.com>
참조: GNURadio Discussion List <discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org>
제목: Re: Galileo Frequency Shifting and Filtering

Amplifier only increase power (signal plus noise), they can't give you better SNR.
Anyway, It's much better to use a CW signal generator to help you debug the frequency converter chain (remember to keep output power low, e.g. -60dBm). You can use freq sink to check every stage of your flowgraph, and use Range / slider widget to control block parameters to search and check. If the signal disappears, or the passband doesn't meet your requirement, the problem can be easily located.

David Dima <daviddimavd@gmail.com> 于2023年3月1日周三 21:50写道:
Hi,

Sure, but the power of this kind of signals is below noise level. Current antenna amplifies 30dB but it still not enough to see anything in the spectrum (I have checked it alredy).

Regards,
David