discuss-gnustep

Re: Some thoughts about GS

From: Christian Edward Gruber
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:43:21 -0500

I've seen the source.  It would be an easier port than gimp with a Cocoa
front-end.

Anyway, Sun Microsystems (JavaSoft Applications Group, formerly Lighthouse)
owns the source.  There's probably not a snowball's chance in hell of
getting the source out of them now.  They did a credible alpha-quality port
to Java, which was then buried when Sun bought StarOffice.  Of course, then
sun OpenSourced "OpenOffice" so now there are two entire codebases of a
pretty damn cool project sitting on ice there. <sigh>  Good news is that in
45 years, the copyright will expire. ;)

regards,
Christian