Re: Misc. comments

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Misc. comments
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:26:48 +0000 (GMT)

    Malmberg> There are still a lot of widgets that don't check
    Malmberg> the size of the font when deciding their own size,
    Malmberg> though, so a lot of things look really bad. Even if the
    Malmberg> backend is supposed to scale everything, I really think
    Malmberg> the widgets should use the character sizes instead of
    Malmberg> hard-coded constants (would help make things look good
    Malmberg> until everything is properly scaled, and it would handle
    Malmberg> fonts not being the same pixel size for the same point
    Malmberg> size).

I'm not particularly expert about fonts - so I have probably missed
the point of what exactly you want to improve - but I certainly would
like to improve `widgets' sizing if you have some suggestions/patches
on how to do it.

As far as I know, sizing/drawing of text in a gui view is done in the
end by a cell - precisely, the sizing is done by NSCell, in _sizeText:
- which then calls sizeAttributedString () in NSStringDrawing.m.  The
drawing of text is done again by cells, and ends up again in
NSStringDrawing.m.

NSStringDrawing.m should use the font appropriately and will actually
do drawing and sizing calling postscript-like primitives in the
backend...  So you might possibly want to fix the sizing/drawing in
NSStringDrawing or in the backend ?