Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:13:41 +0100

On 2005-02-17 17:36:34 +0000 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:>
>> IMHO doomed to be out fo place in just about every
>> integrated environment that I can imagine. Making it work properly in what
>> regards window maximazing, appicons and minimized windows, etc, is no small
>> task.
>
> I don't understand what you mean (I usually have it minimized when not in
> use). When it is minimized, it's foot print is no bigger than the handles on
> the Gnome panel or Kicker. If you don't like it, you can always hide it.

I must admit that my objections are purely based on the fact that I, for no
good reason, simply dislike the way the tabbed shelf looks in comparison with
something like the dock. So, this is highly a matter of personal taste, and
since most people like it I of course think that it should be kept :)

What I was trying to say, however, is that e.g. the appicons and minimized
windows are positioned underneath the shelf (GW would need to be in full
control of the window manager to overcome this I think), and thus it as always
fealt "alien" to me, like a large patch of nylon over a smooth silky
background. It does provide more space and functionality than the dock however.

Cheers,

fsmunoz
--
Frederico Muñoz