Re: Scrollbars.

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Scrollbars.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:47:56 +0000

On 16 Nov 2006, at 19:28, Vaisburd, Haim wrote:

Marc Brünink wrote:

Chris Vetter wrote:
or maybe better (IMHO) use it's own User Default,

If we want good support of themes, this should get its own
default. But this is a fundamental decision. Do you want lots of
defaults or do you want to be spare. The first case clutters up the code
and the documentation, but allows everyone to configure everything.
The second one is easier to use, but isn't as powerful.
[...] I advocate for A.

I understand it as
  (A) 1-step: configure everything right away
(B) 2-step: select from pre-defined themes, themes are created elsewhere.

Then I advocate for B - it's easier to understand, easier to use, and gives
the same power since user can create his own theme.

Experimentally, I Implemented right hand side scrollbars in the 'themes' branch in svn, This is using the NSInterfaceStyle system with the NSScrollViewInterfaceStyle key and having either NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle or NSWindows95InterfaceStyle use scrollers on the right and other interface styles use scrollers on the left. So this can be controlled either by a theme or directly by setting the NSScrollViewInterfaceStyle user default.

Reading this thread there seems to be some confusion/misapprehension about what NSInterfaceStyle does. In fact tt allows a global style to be set but also allows key specific settings to override the global style (typically a class would ask for the interface style for a particular key) and even allows individual controls to be set to a particular style irrespective of the style of the rest of the UI (though I have no idea what that last feature is really good for). Generally the interface style in use is set via the user defaults system, but a theme can set a collection of defaults values, so that the user does not need to remember the inbdividual settings (but can still manually override the values the theme has set if they wish).