Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 20:45:29 +0200

Hi

On 31/07/2017 15:20, David Chisnall wrote:
Also, as a sysadmin I have many friends developers who ask to macOs
compatibility. Then I talk about GNUstep but they ask "show me, show me
something that works" and they mean show me a complete environment because
they want to be convinced that everything will work, from file selector to
theming.
What do they mean by macOS compatibility?  Something that looks and behaves like macOS?  KDE with the right theme will get a lot closer than a GNUstep-based desktop at the moment.  The ability to run Mac apps?  No going to happen for the foreseeable future.  Source compatibility with the same APIs?  We can give them that (to a degree), but it doesn’t sound like that’s what they want.

I can quote David fully here. "look" ? other ways to get that, although some of our themes are heavily Mac influenced.
Running Mac apps? I don't know how Darling is faring, but although very cool, I doubt it will ever will run everything out fo the box, expecting something more like WINE... were every single App gets tweaked.

Running an app on Mac and GNUstep and showing them side by side? We can do that with a lot of applications.
GNUMail for example and many GAP apps. I did port some of our GS apps to Mac just to "prove" it can be done, even if on the Mac side there are better apps for the same task. It proves interesting to some people indeed, more like a demo effect. But "compatibility", except that I find it convenient to run PRICE or FTP both on my GNUstep app, but it is just a user compatibility. You can use Graphos on Mac and GNUstep and "share" the same file, the way you can use Word on Win and Mac, but well, Graphos' real usefulness is still limited.

Riccardo