Re: [Dolibarr-dev] [Dolibarr-association] Dolibarr 4.0.1

From: Sasa Ostrouska
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] [Dolibarr-association] Dolibarr 4.0.1
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:55:21 +0000

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Maxime Kohlhaas <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Km,

Thanks for sharing this.
I agree, Dolibarr migration is pretty nice !

Regarding communication, this is a work in progress. From now on, we'll have systematic annoucement when a major version is released, minor version too, why not. A communication group has been started within the fundation with the goal to better communicate with the community. We already are present on social medias, but this dev mailing-list and the dolistore customers are 2 audiences we poorly communicate with (not to say not at all).

Which is the main channel you use to announce the releases ? I do not saw it on twitter, facebook or other social media, I do not see it so
often here.

My proposal would be to automate this process, so when a git tag is created then a post-commit hook sends out an email. I think this is really simple. A mail does not need much in it than the link to the released software and maybe a link to the github changelog to see what is new.

Rgds
Saxa

About your concerns around PRs and plugins, I'm sorry you feel that way. PRs are usually correctly integrated and not lost. Plugins are the responsibility of their developers. Personnaly, our plugins are upgraded with the new releases

--
Maxime Kohlhaas | Consultant associé
Tél : 06 33 42 92 43

Hi

I don't know if one, two or more releases each year is good. As user is without interest.

The more important is to have an easier update. Actually I know only two projects very nice to update : dolibarr and piwik.

As developper, other aspects, I don't try anymore to use plugin, because is often broken or without maintenance. Also I don't try to propose PR or patch, between two releases I'm sure to lost these changes. Actually it's easier to maintain locals patchs and run a routine after each update.

And dolibarr communication is poor, for example, release notification are often forget in this list.

Km