Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:42:23 -0400

First, we will absolutely use and work with other freely licensed software projects that offer components which are already underway or completed, assuming they are usable and that have or impose no legal implications or burdens. There is some concern about how to correctly impliment the runtime environment, and a belief that the development must be done by people that are seperate from and not by those that have directly used .net technology, .net tools or that have performed direct examination of .net code, decompiling of any .net class libs, etc.

If proper assurances are made that this has been or will be done correctly only from published (draft) EMCA standards documents and specs, and that there is no legal risk from using any of the existing Mono work, that it has not been contaminated in the process it was created by, then certainly it would be both beneficial and absolutely desirable to do so, and would save a tremendous amount of time.

I point this out now because this is one of the legal risks in initiating this work, and was going to be one of the points I was going to bring up on tyhe list for those that do want to run off and develop that part of the system.

David

Martin Coxall wrote:

Can I ask what dotGNU's response to Ximian's Mono announcement is?

Since both dotGNU and GNU Mono have FSF backing, we should work together, not step on each others toes. And it sounds to me like people on this list are discussing starting work that Ximian has already partly completed.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"