Linus Torvalds's beliefs (was Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we d

From: S11001001
Subject: Linus Torvalds's beliefs (was Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:50:17 -0600

Matthew C. Tedder wrote:
Yes... But I like Linus.  He believes in Free Software
but just doesn't judge the beliefs of others.
Actually, I get the feeling that the only reason Torvalds likes Free Software is because it's `inconvenient' to not be able to copy/modify/redistribute. That's what I got from the book "Just for Fun", anyway. The closest he got to moral issues was talking about the "Linux" trademark issue, and a $10 million offer he turned down.

If Torvalds didn't think he was just playing around when writing Linux, would he have still made it Free? I cannot answer that question.

Also, need I remind anyone here of his current employment?

BTW, look at the fortune below. `fortune ~/linuxcookie > .signature' is currently in my .bash_profile. If someone can point me to a `gnucookie' or something like that, RSVP.

--
Dijkstra probably hates me.
        -- Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c