Re: [Duplicity-talk] amazon s3 speed

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] amazon s3 speed
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:23:49 +0200

> I post some patches in this mail list.
> please see
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2010-03/msg00080.html
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2010-03/msg00081.html

Thanks, and apologies for not looking at them properly, especially
since I've been interested in this functionality. I'll try to get to
doing so if someone else cannot do so first.

The one thing I'm worried about with only a cursory examination of the
patch, is that when I originally added --asynchronous-upload I
specifically disabled concurrencies higher than 1 because the backends
were not in general thread-safe and further work was needed. So while
it was okay to do backend I/O concurrently with local filesystem/CPU
bound operation, multiple backend I/O threads were not generally safe.

However in any case, even with concurrency 1, having the ability to do
the same optimization on download as on upload is of course useful.

--
/ Peter Schuller