dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] mkudffs help

From: Chris Ditri
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] mkudffs help
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:23:20 -0400

Hello.  I have read the documentation at
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ about a dozen times now.  I have
looked at source-forge, and lurked all aroun google, and cannot find an
answer to this!

I tried what Andrew said:    mkudffs --spartable=2 --media-type=cdrw /dev/scd0
And I get this:                   trying to change type of multiple extents

The cdrom never even spins up!

I have kernel 2.4.19.  I have the udf.o module compiled, but I am not certain
if it is done right!  I cannot find this *anywhere*.

I used make menuconfig, and the udf module says it is "read only".  The "help"
for that module says to turn on the next option for UDF write -- Well there
is no next option!!! The next option under "FileSystems" is UFS!

I tired a make xconfig, and now, I see the option with (Dangerous) next to it,
but it is dimmed out! It won't let me click it!.

So... I tried to edit .config by hand... and added this:   CONFIG_UDF_RW=m.
That didn't seem to do anything, so I tried CONFIG_UDF_RW=y... likewise that
didn't change anything.  ---Am I even on the right track here?  I tried
compiling it from udf-0.9.6, and it tells me that 2.4.x kernels already have
support for it!

I bound /dev/raw/raw1 to /dev/scd0, as Andrew suggests... I compiled the
latest UDF tools... I fed the goldfish, and remembered to water the
plants....

*Something* is definitely wrong.  Is it that the module for udf writing is not
there, or is my syntax wrong... what?????

PLEASE HELP!

My System:      2.0 ghz xeon processor
                        256 megs ram
                        RedHat 7.3
                        Hewlett packard dvd200xi (yes, a second generation
dvd+r[w] unit)
                        Maxell CD-RW74 650 Megabyte Media (brand new)

Thank you.

Chris

P.S. If there is a better place to post this message, I would love to here it.
I apologize if it is in the wrong list.