edu-eu

[edu-eu]Re: [Ofset-freeduc] Re: Freeduc-cd release 1.3

From: Alessandro Rubini
Subject: [edu-eu]Re: [Ofset-freeduc] Re: Freeduc-cd release 1.3
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:26:57 +0200

>       I usually like to report by email.
>
> If you want to help report it on the dedicated place, this is from where
> I can easily look at. I cannot track each various places when working on
> the final release and fixing the various glitches

I understand that, but one can help only up to a certain point. The
web is synchronous, it requires dedicated attention and often
non-negligible processing power.  Thus I can only help up to posting a
report by email, that I can write anywhere I am with whatever oldest
laptop I have, and send it asynchronously later. I think the same
applies to bernhard and to most of us.  So it's unfortunate if
feedback is only received through http, because this practically means
we can't give feedback.

>       If we can avoid using clearly by patents tainted software
>       including a real threat (unisys billing you) and if there are
>       alternatives (ogg for mpeg, png for gif) we should avoid software
>       which uses patented algorithms.
>
> There are a lot of patent, probably in each piece of software. What
> should we do with that? I agree its a treat,

Note that Bernhard refers to a _real_ threat, i.e. a company already
known to sue for that specific patent. Also note "we should avoid" and
"if there are alternatives".

/alessandro