edu-eu

[edu-eu]cd release with free learning environment server software?

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: [edu-eu]cd release with free learning environment server software?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:09:12 +0300

Hello,

What do you think about including free learning environment software in some of the free software CD releases for education? Or to make a specific CD release of this kind?

In many schools and educational institutions there is a real need to set-up some "virtual learning environment". There are many good and free "courseware", "virtual learning environment" and "knowledge building" server software which could be included to the package.

The different software supports different learning practices (distant, collaborative, etc.). For this reason the CD should also contain some kind of descriptions explaining for what they are designed for. I could participate on writing these texts.

Someone, more technical person, could also evaluate the free learning environment software from technology point of view. Then we could include to the package only "reliable software".

A good list of free "learning environment" software is available at:

http://www.unesco.org/webworld/portal_freesoft/Software/Courseware_Tools/

Best regards,

        - Teemu

Teemu Leinonen