edu-eu

[edu-eu]Re: Freeduc-cd release 1.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [edu-eu]Re: Freeduc-cd release 1.3
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:55:33 -0400

          Additionally I suggest to be careful with the packages that have
          patent problems which are know to be exploited, like GIF
(gimp-non-free)
          or encoders in xine or xanim.

    Agree, however I will probably not remove the gimp-non-free package,
althought
    there is a patent related problem. The software in itself is free, don't
you?

If the license on the program is a free software license, but there
are patent problems in some country, you can still use the software
outside of that country.  (You can also use it inside that country as
long as you don't get threatened, but it may be a bad idea to do
this.)  For the sake of people in that country, it is a good idea to
warn users not to distribute the software in that country.

When there are non-patent-restricted alternatives, it is important to
distribute them and urge people to switch to them, but this doesn't
necessarily require shunning the patent-restricted alternatives
completely.  For instance, encouraging PNG doesn't require shunning
the GIF code outside the US.