Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:42:50 +0200

> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:45:50 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On 3/18/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Please feel free to suggest such refinements.
>
> You only have to take a look at Lennart's EmacsW32 pages to see which
> kinds of things aren't easy for beginners, and are not described in
> nt/INSTALL.

Well, I already read Lennart's pages and incorporated in nt/INSTALL
everything I thought was worthwhile.  So please suggest specific
refinements, if you think there's more to say.

> Or, to put it in another way: Kim can hardly be considered a newbie,
> and it's clear that he could have set up a working environment and
> compiled Emacs, given a little time. But he hadn't the time, he looked
> at nt/INSTALL and did not find what he needed. Whether that's a
> problem in contents or presentation, I don't know.

I didn't suggest to dismiss Kim's gripes.  I'm trying to establish
what should be added to or modified in nt/INSTALL.  I'm not arguing
that it is perfect and should not be changed.

Kim mentioned several additions, like detailed configure and build
instructions and a pointer to Lennart's site, which are already there.
I'm trying to figure out what is NOT there, or what should be reworded
to be more clear.

> > I find it very simple, perhaps because the first thing I do is
> > download GCC, Binutils, and every other ported GNU package (Coreutils,
> > Sed, Grep, Gawk, Make, Texinfo, Diffutils, and Patch) one needs for
> > decent development.
>
> Perhaps. I've been developing on Windows for years and didn't need
> most of that, until I started hacking Emacs; so your definition of
> "decent development" and mine are dissimilar.

Do we all agree that instructions to set up a suitable development
environment is the _only_ thing that is currently missing?  Or does
something else Need Work (tm)?