Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:21:00 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
[I sent this message a few days ago but did not get a response.
Could we get the discussion moving again?]

I am trying to use define-global-minor-mode, see below. I have customized the global mode to be t, but when I open new buffers the minor mode is not set in them. Is this a bug in define-global-minor-mode?

My impression is that the global mode defined with
define-global-minor-mode does not affect all buffers to be created in
the future.  It only catches buffers created by visiting files.

If so, I think what is needed is to add this to the documentation of

    Globally enabling the mode also affects buffers subsequently created
    by visiting files, but not buffers subsequently created in other ways.

Can anyone confirm that this is right?

I believe the problem is that the setup of the hook functions is not done as expected. I have my global minor mode set to t in customize, but I do not found the global mode hook functions in the hook after startup. (The global minor mode is t.)

I think Drew said that the documentation for define-global-minor-mode needs some enhancement. I think that too, especially something could be mentioned about the difference using :global t with define-minor-mode.

BTW, it looks to me that there is no way to catch creation of new buffers.