Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:59:12 -0400

> It seems wasteful to have a file just for this define-package.  Why
> not get the info out of the .el files just as for a one-file package?

I don't think the waste is very significant.  Butm I agree that package.el
could simply look for a define-package call in every .el file.  And it could
simply report an error if there are 2 or more such calls.

> It could look at all the .el files and verify that they all agree.  If
> they don't, it could print an error message.  If it finds different
> package names in various files, it could treat them as separate packages.

I think tht supporting several "packages" inside a single tarball will
complicate matters significantly.  OTOH, some packages include other
packages for the user's (in)convenience, e.g. ProofGeneral includes a copy
of X-Symbol in its tarball, so package.el somehow do something intelligent
in such cases.  Maybe it can recognize that it's in a dubdirectory of its
own and move it out or something like that.

        Stefan