Re: set-locale-environement: strange default detection

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: set-locale-environement: strange default detection
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:04:42 +0200

David Kastrup skrev:
> Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The problem is that we don't have finegrained support.  For the
>>> purpose of talking to the user, LC_MESSAGES is relevant.  But Emacs so
>>> rarely has the opportunity to talk anything but English to the user
>>> that we simply have no reasonable interface into this for now.
>> So maybe we should check for LANG, LC_ALL and maybe LC_MESSAGES in
>> tutorial.el itself.
>
> Possibly.  I am not sure whether environment variables tell the whole
> story, and in a readable way (there are locale system calls, too), but
> they would probably cover 90% of the cases.

The locale man page says the order should be LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGES, LANG:

       1.     If there is a non-null environment variable LC_ALL, the value of
              LC_ALL is used.

       2.     If an environment variable with the same name as one of the cat‐
              egories above exists and is non-null, its value is used for that
              category.

       3.     If there is a non-null environment variable LANG, the  value  of
              LANG is used.

        Jan D.