Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:08:16 +0200

> To make an argument which incorporates a premise that I've already
> said I think is wrong is not useful as an argument.  So if you keep
> repeating such arguments, I can only interpret this as an attempt to
> bully me.  I won't give in to bullying, so you may as well stop it.

Richard, we all want what's best for Emacs.  We all love Emacs and want
it to be The Editor.  Please don't interpret our arguments for or
against a particular change as "bullying".

Anyway, here's another data point: On our site, we use Emacs as the
default editor when editing crontabs.

When we say

$ crontab -e

we get an Emacs that's been started with a file name as an argument.
This now displays the splash screen instead of the crontab.  I don't
think that's an optimal way for Emacs to behave.

Is your mind made up that this is the way Emacs must behave, or are
there any arguments that might change your mind?

At least, with "emacs -nw" (as the crontab thing is called), it seems
counter productive to show the splash screen, in my opinion.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen