Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:16:16 +0200

>     Is your mind made up that this is the way Emacs must behave, or are
>     there any arguments that might change your mind?
>
> My mind is made up that we must arrange that beginners who always
> specify a file name argument mostly do see the splash screen
> information.

I'm all in favour of the intentions behind this decision, but my fear
is that making it too intrusive (i.e. annoying) will cause many
sysadmins and even makers of "Linux distributions" (as they
incorrectly call themselves) to simply turn off the splash-screen
altogether for _all_ users.

AFAICS, the only thing we can do to prevent that is to find a
reasonably non-annoying way to "say what we want to say".

> I expect beginners mainly use window systems, so showing the splash
> screen in the tty case is not so important.  Thus, I don't mind if we
> don't show the splash screen when starting Emacs with file name
> arguments on a tty.

Can you clarify that statement, please!

So are you saying that it is now ok to _not_ show the
splash screen when starting emacs -nw FILENAME ??

In my mind, starting emacs in a Linux Console, and starting emacs -nw
in an xterm all amounts to "starting emacs from a tty".

For most practical uses, that's really the only way to start a
non-window emacs with a file name argument.

On a window system you typically click on a file to edit it - so (as
you say) that will typically launch a graphical emacs (which should
of course show the splash screen - in some form or another).