Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:17:09 +0200

> I'd be willing to live with a split screen:
> - without any option, show the full startup screen, of course: there's no
>   disagreement on this, AFAIK.
> - with a file option (or some other related option such as "-f gnus"), do
>   show the file, but show also an extra startup screen in
>   a separate window.  Since the normal startup screen takes up too much
>   space for this use, we'd need a shorter version of the startup screen with
>   a button that you click to say "show me the full screen".

I thought about this as well and I would also accept it. Having the
"splash-window" a bit smaller would make it less intrusive but still
very visible.

I think I would also be OK with the idle-timer + echo area message idea.

Personally I now mostly start emacs with -Q those times when I want to
make a super quick edit and don't have an instance already running
(starting up with my .emacs takes quite a long time).